This recipe has been sitting in my saved links in facebook for so long just waiting for me to convert it. And it was worth the wait – delicious creamy lemon squares, very popular with the adults. The kids weren’t a fan of the lemon flavour, but we were ok with that, funnily enough ;-).
The original recipe came from the Mums Mag NZ facebook page.
- 80g butter
- 200g pack butternut snap biscuits
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 can (395g) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (approx. 3 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C and grease and line a square baking dish (approx. 23cm).
- Add butter to jug and melt for 2 min at 60⁰C, speed 3.
- Add biscuits and chop for 20 sec, speed 5.
- Scrape down the sides and repeat if necessary.
- Press mixture into base and sides of pan, smoothing as you go.
- Bake for 10 min and then cool for 30 minutes.
- Wipe out the jug with a paper towel.
- Add eggs yolks, condensed milk and lemon juice to jug.
- Whisk for 10 sec, speed 6.
- Pour filling into the cooled crust, carefully spreading.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then check to see if set, bake for an additional 5 minutes if necessary.
- Cool in the pan on a rack and then chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- You can use any plain biscuits. The original recipe used digestive biscuits with some sugar to sweeten the base.
- For a no bake version, chill the base instead of baking and swap the egg yolks for 200g of cream cheese, then chill rather than baking.