Hmm Banana bread. One of my favourite ways to pretend I am eating healthy food whilst instead consuming cake. The abundance of bargain priced strawberries means I have been also playing around with different ways to use them in my cooking. This recipe I stumbled on after my toddler insisted I take the Coles Supermarket in house magazine home with me as a special gift from her to me, lucky she did…..
You can find the original recipe in the September 2016 Coles Magazine.
- 300g SR flour
- 180g brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 150g butter
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 130g chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C. Grease and line a 10cm x 22cm loaf pan.
- Melt the butter in the jug at 60⁰C for 3 min, speed 2.
- Add the banana, eggs and buttermilk to the butter in the jug.
- Mix for 10 sec, speed 5.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder)
- Mix for 10 sec, speed 3.
- Scrape down the sides with a spatula and add the strawberries to the jug.
- Repeat or mix for 5 sec, speed 4 (if impatient like me).
- Pour into the pan
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 min before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold. Enjoy.
- You can replace the buttermilk with a mixture of 2/3 natural yoghurt and 1/3 milk.