This is a quite decadent and definitely sweet coconutty slice. It was meant to be a Cherry Ripe Slice, based on the original recipe from the Cadbury website, but there was universal agreement that it really didn’t feel like Cherry Ripe. Delicious, but not cherry ripe, so we re-christened it ‘afternoon delight’ to reflect the fact it’s just a little bit naughty….
- 185g butter
- 70g brown sugar
- 170g plain flour
- 35g SR flour
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 150g desiccated coconut, extra
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 100g red glace cherries, quartered
- 125g dark chocolate (chopped)
- 60g butter, extra, chopped
- Grease and line a 28cm x 18cm slice pan and preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Add the butter to the jug and melt for 3 min at 60⁰C, speed 3.
- Add in the coconut and sugar and mix together with the spatula.
- Then add the flours and the cocoa and mix for 10 sec, speed 4.
- Tip into lined pan and smooth out to make a flat base. Bake for 15-20 min until firm.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix together the coconut, cherries and condensed milk and pour over the chocolate base.
- Return to the oven for another 20 min at 180⁰C. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make icing, add dark chocolate and butter to the jug and melt for 4 min at 50⁰C, speed 2.
- Spread the icing gently over the cooled slice.
- Allow to set at room temperature.
- The fast and not so good way to chop the cherries is in the jug for 5 sec, speed 3. Then add other ingredients and repeat. This will not produce nice looking cherries but it is fast.
- To slice neatly, chill the uncut slice before cutting with a hot knife.
- Best served at room temperature.